Each year MSRF offers a number of scholarships for Year 12 students who are planning to pursue tertiary education. The number and value of scholarships we offer each year is dependent on funding and donations that we receive, and is also dependent on our partner organisations. This page provides an overview of the scholarships that will be available for current Year 12 students to apply for (i.e. students who will complete VCE in 2017). The application process and key dates are the same for each of these scholarships.
MSRF Foundation Scholarships
- Scholarship consists of three elements: financial support, mentoring and leadership development
- Financial support is valued at $45,000 ($15,000 per annum for three years)
- Open to rural Victorian year 12 students who plan to attend university after they complete secondary school
- Online application process
- Selection criteria include: demonstrated leadership capacity/potential, financial need, desire to return to rural Victoria after graduation, community service and academic ability Key dates for all university scholarships
- Application assessment period: August & September, 2017
- Applications open: May 21, 2017
- Applications close: July 28, 2017
- Each application will be individually assessed. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by the MSRF selection panel during the September term holiday (date to be advised).
- All applicants will be advised of the outcome of their applications by October 31, 2017.
How to Apply
- Please carefully read the terms and conditions of the Foundation Scholarship before starting your application.
- Ensure that your school principal is willing to endorse your application. Only 3 applications per school will be considered.
- Apply online by clicking on the “Apply Now” button below (absent when applications have closed).
- To read the application questions in advance, please click on the apply button below and work through the forms without saving or submitting your application.
- After you submit your application you will see a confirmation page with your unique application code and instructions for your school principal and other referees. Forward that information to your school principal and other referees. Applications MUST receive endorsement from school principals before the closing date to be considered for a scholarship. One school reference is essential, and other references are recommended
- Other references are optional but strongly recommended.
- Applications will be individually assessed, and may be shortlisted for interview. Interviews form part of the application process. All applications and interviews will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The MSRF Scholarship Selection Panel and MSRF Board will consider the following in selecting scholarship recipients:
- Selection of scholarship recipients will be managed by the MSRF Scholarship Selection Panel and approved by the MSRF Board.
- Demonstrated leadership in their local community (e.g. school leadership; participation or volunteering in in community organisations, events, sporting clubs; sharing family responsibilities; extra-curricular roles at school etc.)
- Managing and/or overcoming personal disadvantage i.e. financial disadvantage, cultural challenges, social challenges, remoteness, disability, significant loss, trauma or other hardship.
- Commitment to learning and academic ability.
- Demonstrated interest and passion for living in rural/regional Victoria and an intent to return to rural/regional Victoria.
- The level of likely impact on their life and rural/regional Victoria if awarded the scholarship
- References confirming examples of demonstrated leadership, academic ability and potential, experience of hardship and how they have handled personal challenges.
Website Link: http://www.msrf.org.au/scholarships/
All students wishing to apply for an undergraduate Medicine (Monash Uni) or Dentistry & Oral Health (LaTrobe Uni) must sit the UMAT on Wednesday 26 July 2017.
Students need to Register by 2 June 2017 and Warrnambool students usually sit the test at the Geelong Test Center. You can sit the test in Melbourne if it suits you better. Test Fee = $250.00, Concession Fee of $150.00 if eligible.
The UMAT Test is made up of 3 distinct parts and is a prerequisite for most medical courses across Australia. UMAT does not endorse any UMAT prep courses and provide previous test questions at a cost.
Students / Parents need to read the UMAT Information Booklet – available from Mr Bollard at the Careers Centre. If you have any questions please contact Mr Bollard directly – 55644 406
Each year the Army, Navy and Airforce offer a limited number of Gap Year positions for students who have completed Year 12. Gap Year Sailors for example can earn up to $57,600 for a 12 month period including uniform and many service allowances.
The application process is rigorous and involves a number of visits to Melbourne during the year. If you are interested you need to access the Defence Jobs Website and search for Gap year jobs.
Work Experience Forms are being distributed by the Year 10 Humanities Teachers and need to be returned to your Humanities Teacher by the due date. These forms will consist of the “Official Departmental Permission Form” and a Form outlining the students Work Experience Preferences (3 Job Preferences are required).
Students can choose to do Work Experience in Warrnambool from the list of positions provided in the Work Experience Booklet – handed out with the forms.
Note: Work Experience is just that – an “Experience of Work.” It is not meant to be job training. Many employment positions – especially professions do not allow students to undertake work experience at Year 10 due to the sensitivity of the position or the maturity of Year 10 students. Many students therefore choose positions that might help them to find a part-time employment position.
Students are also required to complete an on-line, Occupational Health & Safety Program before being allowed to undertake Work Experience.
Students from Year 11 & 12 may undertake Work Experience during normal Holiday breaks. All Work Experience enquiries should be directed to Mr Bollard.
2017 Work Experience Dates are as follows:
Tues 14 Mar to Frid 17 Mar — Mrs Penn & Mr Payne’s Humanities Groups
Mon 22 May to Frid 26 May — Ms Brennan’s Humanities Groups
Mon 29 May to Frid 2 June — Mr Finn’s Humanities Groups
Mon 24 July to Frid 28 July — Mr Sullivan & Ms Vells’s Humanities Groups
Mon 13 Nov to Frid 17 Nov — Mr Darts Humanities Group
If you are 15 and over and looking for a part-time job – This might be for you ! KFC Warrnambool are looking to recruit quite a number of young people for positions in Customer Service and Food Service. A great place to start your employment journey.
To Apply – Go to www.kfc.com.au and complete the questionnaire. You will then be contacted via E-mail within 3 days as to your suitability and asked to attend an interview. You are also encouraged to drop in a Resume and ask to meet James (Recruiting Manager). KFC is also an Equal Opportunity Employer so all interested students should apply. The main criteria for selection is your availability (Weekends / Holidays). They will train you for the job. Any Questions please contact Mr Bollard.
The Magistrates’ Court of Victoria will soon be recruiting! The Magistrates Court of Victoria (MCV) recruitment for Trainee Court Registrar positions will soon be open. Applications will be open from 6th February 2017 until midnight 26th February 2017. The position will be advertised at www.careers.vic.gov.au and in various regional newspapers. Only completed applications submitted via the link above during the set period will be considered. Attached is a link to our website where you may locate valuable information about the role of a Trainee Court Registrar and a potential career with MCV. http://www.magistratescourt.vic.gov.au/about-us/careers-court
It may also interest you to know that court rooms are open to the public and students can visit a court room to observe proceedings. Please call us if you require further clarification after looking at the information above or on our website.
Magistrates’ Court of Victoria n Level 6 223 William Street Melbourne
T: (03) 9032 0907 n F: (03) 9032 0900 n E: firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible for 1 of 18, $7000 scholarships, students must be:
An Australian citizen or hold an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- A commencing Deakin student enrolled full-time as an undergraduate student
- Enrolled in a Commonwealth Support Place
- Undertaking located studies at Deakin’s Warrnambool Campus
- Experiencing low socio-economic circumstances, financial hardship or personal disadvantage
Areas of hardship:
Financial hardship – be receiving a means-tested Centrelink benefit or can demonstrate personal or family taxable income below the HELP repayment threshold, depending on independence status
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
- Regional or remote home location
- Disability/long term medical condition
- Recent refugee
- Other demonstrable disadvantage
Students have until the 10th of February to apply, although scholarships will be awarded from the 18th of January on a rolling basis. When all scholarships have been allocated the scholarship will be closed. This may occur before the closing date.
Link to the info can be found at: www.deakin.edu.au/warrnambool-scholarships
EDUCATION SUPPORT TRAINEE
A Local Warrnambool Primary school in partnership with Westvic Staffing Solutions has an outstanding opportunity for an Education Support Trainee commencing early February 2017.
This traineeship fills an important role in supporting teachers in the classroom environment to ensure the smooth, efficient running of their programs at all times.
The successful applicant will demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to show initiative and have strong problem solving skills.
Gap year students are encouraged to apply.
For a copy of the position description and to apply, please go to our website – www.westvic.org.au/jobs/ed-support-trainee/
All enquiries should be directed to Tim Rantall at email@example.com or 0419 904 117.
Applications close: 5pm Wednesday 18th January, 2017.
INTRODUCING THE DELWP DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION SCHOLARSHIP – Full details on attachment below
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP), Medley Hall and the University of Melbourne have partnered together to introduce the DELWP Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship. The DELWP Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship aims to support the diversification of our student cohort and, consequently, of future urban planning professionals entering the workforce who will go on to shape our urban environment.
Applicants from an Indigenous Australian background are strongly encouraged to apply, as are students from disadvantaged financial backgrounds and/or students who have lived in regional Victoria or growth areas of Melbourne.
To be eligible you must:
- Have applied or intend to apply for the Bachelor of Design through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC), with a view to majoring in Urban Planning, and;
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or Australian permanent resident or holder of a permanent humanitarian visa.
VTAC applications for Bachelor of Design close: Friday 2 December (After that time, the Change of Preference Period will allow all existing VTAC applicants to add, subtract or reorder their course preferences). DELWP Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship applications close: Friday 16 December.
Full Details – see Attachment:
Register your interest
Looking to go to university in 2017? Need help with expenses?
Life can be hard enough without having to worry about what tertiary scholarships, if any, are out there.
If you’re a first time university student you’re looking in the right place. Bendigo Bank offers one of Australia’s leading scholarship programs. From agriculture based scholarships, to those connected to one of our many Community Bank® branches, we have something to help you reach your university dreams.
Register your interest now. Applications for 2017 places will open on 1 December 2016 and close at midnight (AEDT) on 27 January 2017.
Go to the web Link: https://www.bendigobank.com.au/public/community/scholarships/2017-scholarships